Of all the soups I make including completely homemade this is my sons favorite. That's saying quite a lot for a soup made from a mix. Many coconut curries add sugar, you won't find that in this mix. It has a mild to medium spice (some heat) level, if you find it's too spicy add a little more coconut milk or serve over rice.
This soup takes a little over two hours of cooking time, however prep is very simple.
Can be made on stove top, in slow cooker or in an instant pot.
Instant pot directions:
Turn instant pot to saute medium.
chop 1 onion and add to instant pot along with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook for 3 - 5 minutes, give it a stir a few times.
Rinse beans and place in instant pot. Add 4 cups water.
Add cover. Close, seal and ensure vent is in closed position.
Hit bean button - this automatically sets cook time to 40 minutes. When cook time is complete natural pressure release. (don't do anything until pressure button drops down)
Once pressure is released, open cover. Add remaining contents from soup package, 3 cups diced sweet potatoes (about 1 large), vegetable broth and choose saute medium. Let simmer @ 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. The size of the dice will determine how long it cooks.
Once sweet potatoes are tender add 1 can of coconut milk. Stir and serve
Leftovers freeze beautifully.
To cook the coconut curry chickpea stew in the crock pot:
1. Remove bean bag and rinse the beans, remove any debris you might find such as small twigs or stones. Our beans are washed but they do grow in the ground.
2. Chop 1 onion.
3. If your crock pot has a saute function add extra virgin olive oil and saute the onion. If you don't have time to saute the onion you can just add the olive oil and chopped onion.
4. Add rinsed beans, 4 - 6 cups of water and 4 cups of vegetable stock as well as the remaining contents from the soup bag.
5. Wash, peel and chop 1 large sweet potato. Ideally get 3 or more cups. Add to crockpot.
6. Cover and cook on low 8 - 10 hours or until the garbanzo beans are soft.
7. After the cooking time is complete and the beans are tender, add additional salt if desired and one can of coconut milk. Stir to combine and serve